You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Talk > American Boys

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 32 posts.
Thread: #7284
Page: 1
Xenor

Posted: 09 Jul 2012
American Boys
I know we have some lovely American boys on here so I figure it's a better place to post a discussion on this topic than most forums I belong to. I need to pick your brains about daily life because in a month and a half I'll be rocking the dance floors of California and Nevada. There's a few little things terrifying me about the trip however. Like...

Tipping. Apparently Americans tip for everything. Every drink they buy in a bar, every piss they take in the toilet, every bus they climb on, basically anything that involves speaking to an employee. Is this correct? Even McDonalds?! How do they normally handle these tips, say in a bar? Buying a drink is a simple process here. You go to the bar, ask for a couple of doubles and hand over a fiver. They give you your change. What do you do over there? Are you expected to carry change so you can hand over tips or do you tell them to keep X amount from your change? What is X anyway?

Drinks. Do Americans drink pints or do they measure them in some other way? In Europe you just ask for a beer. Are Vodka mixers common and cheap over there like here?

Clubbing. Over here you can get as pissed as you want and have a great time when out (unless you're in London) but over there I hear they're more strict towards alcohol and drinking? Is it like London where if you even look drunk you're not getting in anywhere or is it more relaxed like the majority of the UK?

Clothing. What do the cool kids over there wear when they go out anyway? Is it all formal like in Leeds here where you're only getting in places with a black pair of shoes and a shirt or are the venues more relaxed? Will I get in places wearing a pair of Converse and a bright yellow t-shirt? Will that look out of place even?

City life. How safe are the city centres at night?

I suppose English boys can respond too if they've visited America.
newmy

Re: American Boys
"You go to the bar, ask for a couple of doubles and hand over a fiver. They give you your change"

FYP for London

"You go to the bar, ask for a couple of doubles and hand over twenty quid. They give you no change."
Rusholme

Tipping: The standard is 50%, because waiters and such often actually get paid in lard, oats, flour, or another such cooking ingredients.

Drinks: Americans drink in a standard unit known as a "fuck yeah", for instance if you and a friend were at a trendy downtown bar you would say to the barman "2 fuck yeahs of beer good sir".

Clubbing: Clubs have actually been banned since the Reagan administration, bars exist but are mostly used for crocheting.

Clothing: Cowboy hats are mandatory in the USA.

City life: Even the rodents have guns, in order to keep yourself safe it is your duty to carry a sidearm.
Avery

Posted: 10 Jul 2012
@xenor first thing I'm going to start with here is. Be yourself more than conforming to our ways, you're cute and british they'll be all over you with that accent you have. In cali? Those small minded nymphs? what a vacation david.. what a vacation..

Don't know where you got the idea that we pay mcdonalds employees, we don't. We don't tip club bartenders or bar bartenders either, though you can it wouldn't hurt to do that they'll appreciate it. People will like you more. We don't tip bus drivers, they don't have bathroom attendants except in really really upscale places. If you did go to a place where there was a bathroom attendant that's the type you tip.

Drinks I'm the type that pregames before I go out but you can use the universal words for measurement: small, medium, large (big) whichever word people understand with your accent.

Clubs you can get as pissed as you want here too. The only strict thing they have is drinking in the parking lot.

Clothes some clubs have a dress code, maybe all the time maybe for the night, ask.

City life? Depends on what part of the city, ask people. You should ask black people about that though, white people in america tend to be scared/wary of everything. I'm not taking the piss ask anyone who knows american culture. People are lied to by the news here and they're in a state of paranoia at all times. Talk to a black person to get a more accurate telling of what place is safe and where. Any place with a lot of people there you're safe though.
bbycks

Tip restaurant employees 20% because in many places they are paid below minimum wage with the expectation the tips will bring them up to minimum wage.

I also suggest tipping bartenders when you're at a club, though it doesn't have to be as much. $2 every few drinks or something.
styzssm

Where on earth do you go where you can get TWO doubles for £5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know 'cos I want to get smashed there!
Arkei

The North D:
Radiofred

Posted: 11 Jul 2012
And remember if someone wants your fannypack, what they REALLY want, is to use your bumbag. Unless they actually want to USE your fannypack, which is prison slang for bumming your bag. I think.
AJF

Asda.
newmy

StripeyZeb

Caligula

Well since McGreg was a little vague I'll try to be more specific for you, since I disagree with some of what he was opined anyway.

Let's start from the beginning shall we?

"Tipping."
We tip for most things but I'd say its for the same things that one would tip for in the UK. If you go out to a sit down dinner you tip your waiter 15% or depending on how much you liked them, but the standard is 15%. If you get your hair cut however the standard is generally 20% or more. If you go to the bar at a club or or pub and you order from the bar it is custom to leave no less than a dollar, however leaving more can potentially ensure that your next cocktail/glass of wine will have a generous pour. See unlike the UK bars don't manage and count every last drop of alcohol they serve; so bartenders are known to be more liberal. Though in cases where you'll be frequenting the bar throughout the night opening a tab will save you money. In this event if the bartenders been good to you it is custom to leave up to 25-30% or more don't leave anything less that 20% or you'll leave a bad impression.
If you take a cab its a bit subjective. If you're going a short distance a few dollars will suffice. If you're going a considerable distance 20-25% is appropriate, though the further you go the more you should tip, obviously. Its all relative.
You do NOT tip at McDonald's. ;)

" Drinks. "
Its not incrediably common to say pint here. Remember this dumbass country doesn't even use the metric system. Just order a beer generally by the brand name. Take comfort we do have Stella here
Any sort of mixed drink in a restaurant setting is fetching in price, but a mixed drink in a club setting is BULLSHIT EXPENSIVE! I would suggest that you pregame but do not get so drunk that you appear so, you would not only be not admitted to the club but the police do not look kindly upon public innebriation.

"Clothing. "
Unless you're going to an indie night which is only really predominant on the East coast you must dress well to get in. You don't have to dress like you're going to the Ritz or a job interview but you should be casual chic. Wear a pair of trendy jeans a good top (t-shirt or otherwise) and most importantly black dress shoes. These rules are really only in place because they want to keep our equivelant to chavs and other "ghetto fabulous" such out of the clubs. So (not that I think you'd wear these) no baggy jeans, no hoodies, no trainers, no white socks, no sideways hat. If in doubt just go to Forever 21s website and order some outfits.

"City life."
This is subjective to the city really in regards to your question of safety at night. If you're in Nevada I'm assuming you're going to Vegas, if so downtown never really sleeps so theres literally lots of bright lights and people at all time, but still be careful. Thieves are adapted to this sort of vibrant atmosphere and will know how to mug you while you're dazzled by the lights. So just watch your bag. If you're going to West coast and you're in say Los Angeles don't believe what McGreg says. You are a skinny white boy with a British accent you'll be a high risk target. If you're leaving the clubs late at night even if you're in West Hollywood stay in groups. I'd suggest you even buy a little pepper spray. Take cabs directly from the club or the bar. Waiting for buses will be dangerous and of course stay in well lit areas.
However, if you're in San Francisco the dynamic changes radically. You'll be in a city that predominantly gay but still exersize the same amount of caution as you would if you were in London.

Have a good trip!
Avery

Never said he would be safe, it's all fine.
StripeyZeb

You tip bar staff a minimum of 20%?! I agree with Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs - tipping is an outdated social convention that arbitrarily favours some professions over others.
Xenor

Two very different opinions there it seems.

See I did some Googling around for the past few months and everywhere suggests you tip everyone for everything, kinda like what Caligula says. Of course such things are probably posted by people who work in service type jobs as it benefits them. Hence trying to find out from the average American.

Tipping in restaurants is fairly common here although I disagree with the idea of tipping for anything. Guess I'll have to conform to their ways a little while over there.

We don't do this bar tab thing in the UK so I've no idea how that would work. Giving a big tip to get a larger measure in my second drink is pretty much paying for my next drink before I even get it. I don't see the point of that.

Will be avoiding taxis like the plague. Hopefully I can walk anywhere I need to go and if not use the subway or equivalent if these places I'm going to don't have one. Will have to see what the routes back are like from clubs for sure.

No tips at McDonalds then? Guess I'll be there every day. What about KFC?

And I guess I will stick to the beer. Will definitely pre-game, or pre-drink as we say here.

Ugh I hate places with strict dress codes. Even the bloody gay bars?!

"However, if you're in San Francisco the dynamic changes radically. You'll be in a city that predominantly gay but still exersize the same amount of caution as you would if you were in London."

Fuck me I'd better pack a bulletproof vest then. London is by far the scariest place I've been in after dark. Even worse than Sunderland and Glasgow.

For the record I'm going to San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas. Not spending much time in the latter, it's just a base to visit the Grand Canyon. More worried about the heat there than the muggers.

Think I'll leave my fannypack at home.

Styzssm, doubles are only £2 in Newcastle (except on a weekend). £2.45 for a treble in some bars.Most northern cities have really cheap nights during the week.
newmy

Posted: 12 Jul 2012
"London is by far the scariest place I've been in after dark"

Where in London were you?
Xenor

Soho.
newmy

I at least thought you were going to say something like The Heygate Estate or something, but Soho? Really? Admittedly I've only been there late at night about twice but I never ever felt like it was a scary place to be in the least.
Winston

I have walked through soho at 3 in the morning - not looking like I was enjoying the nightlife either. You take a wrong turn there off the main streets and find some interesting characters about
Xenor

Yeah that happened to me last year Winston. Took a wrong turn after being denied entry to GAY Late for being too drunk. I was approached by two different drug dealers within 20 minutes.
Wait! There are 22 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^