You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Talk > Well.....is he approved of or not?

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 17 posts.
Thread: #7718
Page: 1
kev1

Posted: 21 Sep 2014
Well.....is he approved of or not?
Peter Capald as Dr. Who, I mean.
I can't say I'm really taken by the new series, although it's not Capaldi I have a particular issue with, but the crappy storylines and poor direction.

stargatefreek

Posted: 23 Sep 2014
Re: Well.....is he approved of or not?
I am enjoying Capaldi playing the universes favourite time lord but it's the same as smiths last days it is the storylines that are letting him down as well as Moffat having the helm
Gnarlee

Posted: 23 Sep 2014
I'm really enjoying him as the new Doctor. After the success of Tennant and Smith, I didn't think the BBC would ever higher an older one again. But they did and I love it. It feels, to me at least, like a whole new show. I really like Moffat's writing too, makes me sad other fans aren't into it.
stephen-20

Posted: 24 Sep 2014
I'm loving Capaldi. Gone is the tenuous fawning over a young Dr from the companions. Instead it's almost like your favourite crazy Uncle roaming the universe, with Clara trying to keep him in check. I like that Clara has a love interest and the last two episodes have been good. The story lines aren't great though, that is what the show is lacking.
Spoilers

Posted: 29 Sep 2014
It's got to be said that the writers have immense pressure to come up with new engaging stories to satisfy primarily the kids in the audience, but also the long-term fans and even casual watchers.
It's a shame that the pressure shows even more when Moffat is running things. He is a wonderful writer, I think 'Listen' restored a lot of faith in him, for me and for others I've spoken to. But... Moffat is best when writing a few episodes per series, and not trying to guide the overall journey the series travels.
As for Capaldi, he's wonderful and different and I hope he has a decent 4 or 5 years in the role. I'd love to see him held high in the rankings of all the Doctors.
kev1

Posted: 05 Oct 2014
All of which goes to show that ageism is dead on altvibe....at least as far as the five repliers go
There doesn't seem to be too much difference of opinion, likem the others Capaldi is doing okay and I like the reverence to the crazy uncle...
kev1

Posted: 19 Oct 2014
last night's was pretty good I thought - but that could just be me...
daviemoo

Posted: 19 Oct 2014
i liked last nights, but to me this series seems to be really up and down. capaldi is ok as the doctor in my eyes, he does the part well but i dont know, some episodes have seemed a bit lacking. time will tell.
Gnarlee

Posted: 21 Oct 2014
I think Doctor Who will always be considered 'up and down', each episode is so different to the other that people will always like some more than the others.

Anyway, I actually came here just to say how much I enjoyed the episode 'Flatline'.
stephen-20

Posted: 22 Oct 2014
I watched a good review that said a lot of the episodes this season have had danger for the sake of danger - that the peril doesn't really lead anywhere. They go on to say how 'Flatline' is just a series of events the writers thought would be cool.

I see their point - why the need for the train for instance? But I thought it was one of the better episodes. A good idea, good visuals and nice for the Doctor to take a backseat. There were some really nice, charming low fi moments with him trapped in the tiny tardis.
Rusholme

Posted: 23 Oct 2014
I find this series has just tried my suspension of disbelief to breaking point. Some parts are charming and Capaldi is good but he just has very little gravitas because the internal logic of the episodes is ridiculous.
daviemoo

Posted: 28 Oct 2014
to be frank i thought this weekend's episode was really poor...
Gnarlee

Posted: 11 Nov 2014
SO. His first series is over. Everyone's conclusion?

I love the darker tone. That's such a cliché phrase, 'darker', sorry, but it's all I got! He's angrier and less forgiving, but still enthusiastic enough to travel the universe and drop puns. I couldn't watch it if he was always short-tempered.

There seem to be some deliberately smaller, more mysterious stories to suit his character too, like 'Listen' and 'Flatline'. The latter might have been one of the most original things on TV for a while.

Clara seemed more interesting this series. She came up against more challenges, showed a wider range of emotions. She was always likeable, I felt, but a bit bland. Just cracking a lot of jokes. Now she was getting angry, upset and showing more independence against foes. Which is why it was always disappointing when she felt the need to downplay her actions whenever Danny Pink was around.

Missy was fucking amazing. I loved her. Michelle Gomez's performance was a joy to watch, every second. I hope she comes back.
daviemoo

Posted: 13 Nov 2014
Michelle Gomez was great, I always liked her but I didn't really find her as 'I'm smiling because I'm going to fuck you up' as some of the old masters. As for capaldi, yeah he's been very good overall but genuinely the episode about the forest of magical trees... Is the worst episode of Dr who I've ever seen. He has had some great episodes though yeah. I always liked Clara but she was always a bit of the ingenue sort of thing so I liked seeing more to her.
kev1

Posted: 30 Nov 2014
generally speakimng then, Capaldi seems to be a good doctor(in spite of all the doommongers saying he is too old...) I thought he was okay actually, personally The Docter shouldbe a bit older than Matt Smith was. Stories - yeah some were a little on the peculiar side, some were good. As gnarlee says, the series will always be a bit up and down.

kaielmonroe

I love Capaldi, and he could be an amazing doctor. But the episodes in series 8 have been so frustrating, dull boring and terrible plots coupled with the fact that the focus seems to have been on Clara and Danny, has meant we have yet to see just what Capaldi's doctor is actually like.

It is strange that a series in which they have a new doctor focuses on his companion, especially when it needs to establish his character, and it is even stranger to have the previous doctor show up in the new doctors first episode (In my opinion ruining Capaldi's debut as now the episode is 'Smiths last episode' instead of Capaldi's first)

Best doctor who trailer ever
kev1

I have to admit the first episode was a little strange.

Wait! There are 7 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^