You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Talk > Alt Gay London

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 15 posts.
Thread: #7734
Page: 1
Skinny

Posted: 03 Mar 2015
Alt Gay London
Ok, so about two years ago I had a mild breakdown on altvibe over the death of the alternative gay scene, what can I say, I'm not really into places like G.A.Y or Heaven.. I'm a club snob!

So, this time I am going to be a little more positive and promote the good work of alternative gays here in London town. It seems that alternative gay nights come and go, but over the past year or so I have found two sustained nights which are really rather good!

First Up 'Queer'

Where: Mascara Bar Stoke Newington. Sounds like along way out of town. Dead easy to get to on a bus or train, both stop almost at the venue. Takes about 20 mins to get back to central London after the night on a bus.

When: Monthly normally on a Saturday, the Next Queer is on Saturday 21st March.

Kick out: 3am

Entry: Free

What do they play: Possibly the most eclectic night I've ever been to. Expect Indie, Brit pop, new-wave, punk, rock n roll. Basically if they have it they will play it.. Some main stream stuff and some stuff you have never heard.

Following: Its a mixed mostly queer crowd, very friendly and in no way pretentious, just a bunch of folk looking for something different from a gay party.

My Thoughts: I've been going to Queer for about 18 months now, it took them a while to settle into a permanent venue but now they have its perfect. Mascara is a cute bar, thats right bar not club, with a quirky kinda 1970's feel about it. Yes, its small but this also makes the place very personable. It has a great sound system too! I judge a night on how much alcohol is required, the last couple of Queers I didn't drink any alcohol, the music was my drug!

Find them on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qclublondon/?fref=ts

Next 'Audacity'

Where: The Black Cap Camden.

When: every second month the next one is Friday 10th April. It would be nice for something more regular because if you miss one then you are waiting almost half a year for the next as I have found. As they say, better then nothing, and as we almost lost the Black Cap to a redevelopment project I guess we should count our lucky stars we have anything.

Kick Out: 3am

Entry: £5 all night.

What do they play: If you like mainstream songs you can sing to the top of your voice to then here it is, a great mix of Indie, Brit pop with a little more rocky stuff, a dash of nu-metal and being the Black Cap a friendly dose of gay disco.

Following: The Black Cap has its own following who appear a little confused by the DJ's taste in music during Audacity. This night also attracts the alt gays searching for that club night lost so long ago. Being in Camden expect to navigate the odd hen party or rugby team simply looking for a club they can get into.

My Thoughts: This is possibly the closest you will get to guitar based music being played back to back in a mainstream London gay club. Sure the Black Cap is not a big place, it's certainly no rival to Heaven however if you are looking for a club night rather then dancing in a bar Back Cap has the vibe. Being in Camden also extends your night, its easy to start off with a bar crawl, gig, cocktails, Worlds End.. whatever.. Camden is a night out destination meaning you are warmed up by the time you pass the doors of the Black Cap ready for the dance floor and those miss-shape moves!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Audacity/321848001274336?fref=ts

It would be nice to find something more hardcore.. a gay club night that sustains a mosh pit.. if you discover one please spread the love.. :o)

While Boris gentrifies Central London and kicks in the night life there does appear to be more and more stuff occurring on the fringes of town. Dalston Superstore and The Star of Bethnal Green often play host to some interesting nights. Shake ya Dicks, Douche Bag, Hot Boy Dancing Spot, Unskinny Bop and now, Reasons 2 Be Cheerful, are often brands you hear about town.

So yer, anything you wanna add would be cool
styzssm

Posted: 03 Mar 2015
Re: Alt Gay London
I remember that break down. Lol

If I get a good job (I'm appling atm) I think another Alt Vibe night out would be cool.
Thanks for the info. Xx
niterider666

Posted: 07 Mar 2015
Thanks for the info Skinny. I don't go to London much but when I do it's either Antichrist or Slimelight, both are alternative and have a good gay following.
styzssm

Posted: 10 Mar 2015
Isn't slimelight one of 'those' clubes
stewiestrapon

All of these early kick outs mean you're fucked if you're coming from outside London. I really wish I could come to more nights...

@styzssm What do you mean by "one of 'those' clubs"? You do have to be in the right mood for Slimes...
Skinny

Audacity at Black Cap has just been moved to Thursdays once a month starting from 9th April.. Shame, I was looking forward to re-visiting that, now I'm all grown up I can't handle a Thursday night then work. Guess for us weekenders its Queer.

Hmmm... I think Slimes and Antichrist might be a little to alternative for me, this could just be me being narrow minded; I have been saying for years I'll give it a try but don't really know anyone who goes anymore.

Oh yer , the altvibe meet up at Pops was ace! Although back then there were a few more active people on Altvibe and there was Popstarz every Friday. Oh my, must be about two and half years since that night.
stewiestrapon

Posted: 11 Mar 2015
Yeah about two and a half years. It's a shame Popstarz went (and an even bigger shame I was having a 'I can't deal with other people' period that clashed with the last ever one) but I suppose it was a bit like flogging a dead horse towards the end...

I've never been to Antichrist so I can't comment.

I used to do Slimes every weekend and I'm still kind of bored of it. I only go to electroworks for non-Slimes events these days.
styzssm

I heard that is was a massive drugs club, when I say heard I mean my friend used to go on three day drug fueled binges which were centered around Slimes.

Skinny

@styzssm drugs scare me away, Im a simple sole.. edging closer to the none drink thing again, when alcohol starts to scare me all social activity in London town will be beond my capability due to expected norms
Gnarlee

Haven't been to a club in aaaaaages, I'd be up for a big night out soon.
stewiestrapon

To be honest you get drugs everywhere. I've been started on in Popstarz by some guy clearly off his nut. I've never had an issue in Slimes. It's entirely a case of wrong place wrong time- if people want to take something they will take it.
styzssm

Posted: 12 Mar 2015
It doesn't bother me, just heard that Slims was big on that stuff.
niterider666

Posted: 12 Mar 2015
@Skinny - how can a club be 'too alternative'?? I thought that was the point (and purpose of your thread). I should point out that I've been clubbing at Slimes for years and ever once had a single problem or altercation in that place. Most people are friendly and although the music (mostly EBM, noise and industrial) does attract drug users, and the use is open flagrant, there is no hassle or aggro from anyone. I always feel safe in the club and as stewiestrapon said, most nights kick out early - not slimes! They are open 'til like 7:30am so even the hardcore partyers from outside London can dance 'til their hearts content!
Skinny

Posted: 13 Mar 2015
Sorry @niterider666 I didn't mean it how it sounded, the 'too alternative' that is. Your right, there is no such thing. As for Slimes, I've never heard anything negative about the place, I've only heard of it through here; used to be plenty of banter about the place a few years ago. I'm open to try it, its just I literally don't know anyone who goes. If we did another Altvibe meet up Slimes seems to be the Obvious place.

And yer agreed, the kick out time for these places is horrendously early, London seems to be going that way. I am sure it was only about 10 years ago when all London venues were open till at least 6am, including Pops.

As for the drugs thing @stewiestrapon is right, London and the gay scene is full of them to a surprising extent. I'm quite a sensitive chap, any talk of drugs will tern me off. If I am going to an event and there is talk of drugs I'll probably make my excuses. It's not up to me if people take drugs if thats how they enjoy the night, I just don't want to be part of it.

Oh yer, I was trying to remain positive.. We still have places to go thats the main thing
styzssm

Posted: 13 Mar 2015
I don;t know why everyone seems to think that because of the drugs I think it's a bad place.

Every city has that one club that is code name for a drug user. generally they are good places.
Wait! There are 5 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^