You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Talk > NUS and their recent 15 mins of fame

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 45 posts.
Thread: #7738
Page: 1
styzssm

Posted: 01 Apr 2015
NUS and their recent 15 mins of fame
Sup?
Anyone else seen the two controversy surrounding the NUS in the last fortnight or so?

For anyone who has been living under a rock; the NUS is the UK's national union of students representing (theoretically) all further education institutions (colleges - Level 3 - A-level / NVQ) or higher education institutions (universities).

The NUS meet once a year to decide on motions, agendas et al and elect the next year's committee. There are autonomous sub divisions for Women (anyone who defines as a woman (inc trans)), LGBT+ (I think that asexuals are (finally) included)), disabled students and minority ethic.

Well, it's conference time and there have been two headlines.

NUS Women's network clapping fiasco
Basically NUS Women's conference delegates were not allowed to clad and instead had to jazz hands applaud, whooping was forbidden as it causes anxiety.

NUS women condemns drag and ells gay men to ‘stop acting like black women’
This one, is basically what it says. It condemns drag and cross dressing in Student Union Events, it does have a foot note saying that as an expression of gender queer identity it's acceptable. it doesn't mention who is the judge of that though. The black women bit is along the lines of white gay men are white and male privileged and should not appropriate black women.

Motion 406 The drag motion and 512 the white gay male one

stewiestrapon

Re: NUS and their recent 15 mins of fame
Is this an April fool?
styzssm

No, but I wish it were though @stewiestrapon
I've added links through out the post, one links to BBC News, one to Pink News and a final one to the actual NUS Womens motions
TheSaint

Posted: 02 Apr 2015
Students need to quit their whining and buck up their ideas. I mean seriously, the tax payer has to cover the cost of their asses going to uni until they can afford (maybe) one day to pay it back! Thats not the end of it though - on top of subbing them for tuition fees and student loans which get blown on cool gear like ipads and the latest iphone which hard working tax payers just simply cant afford... THEY GET FUCKING DISCOUNTS LEFT RIGHT AND CENTRE ON 'LUXURY ITEMS'! It pisses me off to hear NUS groups complaining about society and how it is run - I might start caring about what these groups have to say - when they actually start contributing towards it! Go and pay full price for your CD's and band tee's you idle cunts.
stewiestrapon

How many stereotypes can we fit onto one thread?
-Anxious people are so delicate people can't even clap around them.
-Cross dressing and drag is about mocking trans people.
-Trans people are cross dressers and drag acts.
-Black women all strut around kissing their teeth and addressing people as "guuurl" etc.
-Gay men all strut around as above ^
-Students blow their loans on 'luxury items'
-Students are parasites who don't contribute anything.

At risk of adding another stereotype, here seems a good place to raise the issue of universities giving hate speakers a platform in one breath then coming out with stuff like this on another...
rogerkint

The NUS is a pretty horrific tribe of one-up-manship and petty rivalries amongst people who couldn't get proper jobs it seems. They're all wannabe real politicians who realise no one in the real world will vote for them so they need to pad out some time.

I've seen very little good come out of them as a cohort (I've been a student at several universities now and never once had an NUS card - it's never stopped me getting a student discount).

Students generally though.. well I don't think you can really talk about them as one homogeneous group. They're probably one of the most heterogeneous segments of society you can imagine. Sure, you get plenty of lazy ones who never go to a lecture and get pissed every night, and you get the very rich ones who spend a fortune on very expensive stuff that most people will never be able to afford. You also get plenty who work 12 hours a day, barely leave the library, sustain themselves on reduced items from Tesco, and are eternally thankful for the chance they have. Some are incredibly right wing, some are incredibly left wing; some are rich, some are poor; many are white males, many are asian females, some are gay some are straight, some are bi, some are poly. All are different.

To tar them all as scroungers echos the very worst of the UKIP mentality. I paid over £10,000 in tax last year, so please don't call me an "idle cunt" @TheSaint
TheSaint

No tarring as scroungers and certainly no ukip mentality here. I am pointing out that the price tag of the higher education establishment was pointed out at the start and that the mentality that this entitles students to complain about the price, get discounts on account of being a student where full time working tax payers have to pay full price and then dictate to the rest of society how politically correct we all should be is pissing people like me off!
Rusholme

Not all students actively participate in Union politics so to act like STUDENTS are somehow to blame is ridiculous. Also it isn't putting an imposition on the "full time working tax payers" because you lot don't go to UNION events do you. Businesses buy into schemes to give student discounts to encourage students, who have less money on average, to purchase their goods or services. Because even if they pay a little less at least they're buying something. It's a marketing trick, students never demanded anything from businesses, you act like businesses just roll over to students who want something cheaper. It's got nothing to do with them being special little snowflakes who deserve it more than you. Your attitude is the same kind of attitude that leads to bullshit like "A black person robbed someone therefore all black people rob people". You can't generalise about any group.

Notwithstanding how ridiculous the NUS is on these issues AND most of the time.
Gnarlee

Posted: 03 Apr 2015
The hell is your problem, Saint? This generation of students are paying the highest fees ever. It was free not that long ago. They're not 'entitled', we took everything away. Stop this 'hard working tax payer' bullshit 'cos it makes you feel superior.
styzssm

Posted: 03 Apr 2015
I agree @stewiestrapon
The NUS cohorts love to ride on stereotypes for all their arguments against them.
It really annoyed me.

I have a friend, who is trans and very out and proud. She is (now) Catholic and has been a Conservative for many years. I met her at LGBT conference, the abuse some of the LGBT send her way is borderline discrimination.

Having been to NUS LGBT Conference I found it more about how left one can be (which as most of you know I'm not) and less about how much gay rights we can fight for. The whole thing turned me off.

What right do the NUS women have to tell me what I can and can't wear to any occasion.

Andy by the by, It's a loan that students are given, and it really doesn't go far. Most students either work or rely of family support. The benefit that graduates give to society by far out weighs the the initial hit. Remember that every time you go to the doctors.
leon1990

Posted: 04 Apr 2015
So @styzssm, how many of them actually become doctors (or similar) ? And how many of those loans end up actually being paid off, @Gnarlee? Just wondering...
styzssm

6820 applicants in 2014 for medicine
But that doesn't include the rest of the NHS: nurses, dentists et al
styzssm

But that's beside the point,
The topic is regarding the NUS not whether public spending could be better allocated.

I'm interested in peoples response to the NUS Women.
Gnarlee

Posted: 05 Apr 2015
@leon1990 When you were young, education was free (yeah, I know your real age). So you've got nothing to say. There's no way you can have lived your younger years at a time when education was free, and then condemn today's students as somehow taking advantage of the system by going to university at its most expensive. If they can't pay back their loan, it'll be because they aren't earning enough money. Care to condemn the fall in wages? Incidentally, this government has been selling off old student loans to private companies despite promises not to. Care to condemn that? Of course not. Students are an easier target, and you're a lazy coward who won't challenge anything larger than yourself.

This is disgusting. This whole attitude is disgraceful. And so typically British. We look down on others to feel better about themselves, it's our national sport. Scrutinising every penny spent, even though that's what money is for. To be spent, to be used. This country seems to have the money whenever we want another war. What's wrong with putting it on education? Where else is it going to go? You? You want it? Do you think money destined for you was diverted directly to students? 'cos that's not the case. Do you think they have an easier time than you? Then go study. No one's stopping you. I work in a university, and there are people of all ages putting in the work. And if you don't want to...?

Well what's so god damn selfish about wanting an education anyway. And yes, to meet people and have fun whilst you're doing it. I mean, has anyone's taxes gone down since we started charging so much? Privatised so much? Yeah, actually. The rich's taxes. Everyone else, however, pays the same, for less that the country will give them. You know what, I bet these people complaining about educated students are the same people that complain the younger generation are stupid and selfish too. I mean geez, did Saint really bitch about ipads and iphones? What a fucking old man.

We literally saw this Tory government, and the Labour one prior, push tuition fees higher and higher than any previous generation. And yet, we still want to condemn them. The hell is wrong with people. We've got such short memories. We're in debt because banks gambled our money, and are making us pay back what they lost. It's not a defecit, it's a bankers' overdraft. And we're mad about student discounts? Really? Just now, Saint called them 'cunts' because they don't pay full price for a t-shirt. Jesus christ.

Ian Hislop said his education was free. And then, after completing it, he paid tax so that others could have theirs free too. "That's how it worked." He said. And it did. It worked. And it still can. I will never accept we don't have enough money to pay for education whilst we can still pay for wars, whilst we watch the largest transfer of public money to private hands in history.

Students want a good job, a good pay cheque, 'cos they know if they don't they'll be in a job they hate spouting the 'hard working tax payer' routine to make them feel better about their failures. Sort it out. Read a book. Play an instrument. Learn a new language. Travel. Do all of the above. Because you must have such tiny, dull little lives to have become so hateful toward people trying to make the most of theirs.

I'm a hard working tax payer too. Scrap tuition fees.
Gnarlee

leon1990

@Gnarlee, you've written so much I might miss out some of your comments because I can't see them. Right, let's see....I got a "reduced" amount of money for my first degree. My parents should have made up the deficit but didn't. I did my second one and my PhD at my own expense. I'm sure your impeccable source of information can confirm that. OK? Secondly, I have no problem with students getting "grants" as opposed to repayable loans. I have no problem with students getting discounts on things they buy. I think we're agreed on that one. I'm perfectly well aware that wages aren't high and that consequently many loans will not be repaid! My point was that they wouldn't be repaid, full stop! I didn't say why. I'm not arguing that money is there to be spent though I think you might find quite a few contenders apart from students to have money spent on them. (Especially those who don't actually finish their degrees.....)
I have no wish to undertake any further education thanks, I feel I've jumped my last jump when it comes to exams.
And as for me being a lazy coward...I'm neither, as you'd find out if we ever met in person. And unlike you, I don't dislike people for no reason.
Rusholme

And how many of them don't pay off their debts? Just curious...
styzssm

Posted: 06 Apr 2015
Again People,
This is about The NUS and it's recent bizarre motions. I appreciate that people are deeply interested in governmet policies regarding univerisites but it's irrelevent to this post. I clear set out at the start tyhis was regarding LGBT issues within the NUS.

Most of you know I really can not be bothered with politics.

I genuinely am interested on how people feel with the above motions by the NUS.

If people want to discuss the (ridiculous) tuition fees, please make another post and not hi-jack this one.
Skinny

I'm curious, what is @leon1990 real age?
styzssm

I give up,
Maybe I'm invisible.

(actually I wanna know his real age too)
Wait! There are 35 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^