You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Talk > So... is emo dead now?

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 14 posts.
Thread: #7754
Page: 1
daviemoo

Posted: 06 Feb 2016
So... is emo dead now?
I sort of realised the other day that i'm 29 this year and I, personally, don't feel like i've changed much from being the 21 year old pierced long haired weirdly androgynous person i was- but i totally have. Most of it is to do with necessity - it's hard to get gainful employment with a big fat lipring and 11 ear piercings and long girly hair when you're a boy, but i think that really sucks. Emo was a cool subculture and I enjoyed being part of it really - but it doesn't really seem to be a thing any more, with the big lumbersexual and other movements taking over now. What's you guys' view on it all? Are you still 'emo' or are we all people who look back on it all like it was a fun teenage thing..?
stewiestrapon

Posted: 08 Feb 2016
Re: So... is emo dead now?
I loved my emo period, I had loads of fun and great memories and wouldn't change it for the world.

Some of it has grown and matured with me. I still do androgyny- just in a tasteful way rather than a gaudy LOOK AT ME way. I still gravitate towards non-mainstream culture and slag off reality television.

Would I go back to it right now? Maybe for a theme night in a club, but not permanently. Far too much effort maintaining the image and indulging the angst
newmy

"emo period"

Lord forgive my childish brain.
daviemoo

ALL PERIODS ARE EMO- it's nature's self harming.

Yeah I don't know, I still have aspects of the look to myself and I still like music etc but it's not quite as defining a characteristic as before. It was fun in the day, I felt like I had a really clear identity which has changed now.. To all the boring adult shit -.-
stewiestrapon

@newmy I didn't even clean up the blood. I was so emo.

I suppose when you're younger you feel more need to assert an identity than you do when you're older? I don't know... I give less shits about how people see me these days so it means I spend less time thinking about how to present myself?
stephen-20

Posted: 15 Feb 2016
I was never really IN the scene, more on the fringe... but to answer your question I don't see it about any more and I think it's a good thing. The closest thing I see to it is 14 year old girls wearing those DISGUSTING plastic chokers that were a thing in the 90s and looking a bit trashy/angst ridden overall.

I cannot abide that whole lumberjack look and it's party because I find it somewhat attractive and I loathe myself for having those feelings. I dress how I like, mainly in black and I wear more makeup now than I ever did back then. You can put that down to ageing. I'd say I've become more sophisticated with what I wear - like we all probably have. As long as you feel great in what you're wearing and how you're presenting yourself to the world, thats all that matters.
PawClaw

Posted: 25 Feb 2016
I didn't think I'd changed that much because it all happens by increment, then my work colleagues looked through my old facebook photos and were like omg you look like a different person! And I'm just like god your looking at a picture from late uni where the only difference I can see is my hair was blue instead of natural colour.
Xenor

Posted: 28 Feb 2016
I have noticed an increase in facial hair over the past few years, which fits into that "lumberjack" label. I'd never heard of the label until I read this thread but I looked it up. I can't think of anything more unattractive to be honest, it adds about ten years to their age.

I was never an emo but I did used to go for some aspects of the look and when I'm not at work I still dress and style my hair the same way I did almost a decade ago. Can't stand really short hair or beards so why would I want that on me? My work place is so relaxed I could get away with coloured hair no problem but I don't think I could pull it off at my age. If you get a job where you're not meeting customers you don't have to change yourself much.
Rusholme

Posted: 28 Feb 2016
Yes.
misterstef

Posted: 02 Apr 2016
No.
tomeedubya

Posted: 28 Apr 2016
Yes. Actually websites like this are in massive decline too. Most people in this thread posted 2 months ago!
Eraserface

Posted: 18 May 2016
Subcultures dying out, that's whats dead now. But which variety of emo do you mean? The day-glo travesty emo or the Rite of Spring emo, or one of the other varieties. Things like this don't die anymore they just lie dormant until they're uncommon enough to be revived again and regurgitated as something new.
BUUZUZUUHF

Posted: 14 Jul 2016
So basically this place is pretty inactive? 👽
xxwooshxx

Posted: 06 Sep 2016
I don't know what it exactly means.
I still look pretty much the same as 10 years ago, my way of dressing up just grew with me as I should of course not be walking around in the same stuff as when I was a kid...

Most of my friends also still have a quite an alternative look, but to say they would literally dress up like the stereotype of an 'emo'... nope. :)
Wait! There are 4 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^