You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: Sex and Stuff > Health > Ohhh thank god.....

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 28 posts.
Thread: #5118
Page: 1
Caligula

Posted: 24 May 2010
Ohhh thank god.....
My country's getting just a little LESS stupid.....

Read on!

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/03/13/Health_Officials_Reconsider_Ban_on_Gay_Blood_Donors/

johnny

Re: Ohhh thank god.....
I love the 2000 year old moron's comment:

Name: Atheist
Date posted: 3/15/2010 3:37:38 AM
Hometown: Earth

Comment:
First, they pay reparations for two thousand years of oppression and defamation. When that happens, I consider giving my blood. Otherwise, they can kiss my gay ass.

What a dick. I hope they actually bother to re-evaluate the situation though, there's a better chance they will here too if the FDA finally budges. I understand the need to ensure the safety of the recipients, and how an outright exclusion back when this legislation was introduced wasn't exactly a terrible idea. But not adjusting the rules to fit the times is a little shit, especially when the need for blood is so constant and so high.
PeterEsk

Key words are 're-examine the ban'. Lets see if they actually do anything.
kokasuru

How can they tell your gay though?
I donated blood years ago.
Caligula

They ask you outright if you've had any sexual contact with another man, even if it was only once. They even ask you if you've ever even kisses another man. If you answer yes to any of them you get rejected.

I just answer 'no' to all the questions, as the ban on gay man is rediculous for a multitude of reasons. The first is that they don't just accept anyone's blood they test every sample they recieve on a serological level. So they'll be able to tell if the blood is tainted etc. Secondly heterosexuals as we all know are just as susceptable to HIV infection as homosexual men.

And plus I'm Type O (universal doner) it would be tragic waste use my blood just because of my orientation. I'm sure if you're bleeding to death you're not really going to care which way I swing if a litre of my blood will save your life.
Caligula

re: Johnny

Britain's got talent too....
http://www.advocate.com/Health_and_Fitness/Health_News/Britains_Gay_Blood_Ban_Under_Review/
Gnarlee

"I just answer 'no' to all the questions"

And... they believe you? Huh.

It would indeed be a tragiv waste though if you have universal blood, props for the donation. And you're right, gay blood is better than no blood. I understand the fear of HIV transfer, but the rules seem a little paranoid.
Sephiroth

It's not so much an anti-gay ban, it's a ban on people who have had sex with men. Still very retarded however. The ban should be on slutbags instead as they have the highest risk of infection.
johnny

I haven't donated in a while out of laziness mostly, but I just lie on the forms too. It mostly just insults me looking at the "GTFO GAY" questions on the form, and while I refuse to let that affect the actual people who need the blood, it still makes for a very unpleasant experience.
Gnarlee

Doesn't there have to be a 3 month gap between un-protected sex and HIV testing? Maybe that's why doctors are less keen on 'gay' blood, because the cost on keeping it stored for 3 months and then the cost of testing it is alot of hassle.
johnny

But the chances of hetero blood being HIV is pretty much the same, I'm not sure the exact figures but it's not like it was in the 80s by a long shot. Having had sex with men, or sex with a woman who has had sex with a man who has had sex with another man (this is how extreme they are with it) does not make you any more likely to have HIV than any hetero person out there. All blood HAS to be tested for it anyway before it can be used, so there is NO reason to have a blanket exclusion on gay blood, at least not today anyway.
Caligula

ya but Gnarlee you're missing the point there a bit. They test ALL blood they recieve before they use it. And its not the same testing that we see in the clinic where typically (on the old tests primarily) you had to wait three months after a risky sexual episode for it to be visible. Blood banks use extremely precise testing and more advanced serology to detect in the most illusive of blood born viruses. The reason why they don't want to lift the ban is despite this sophisticated technology used to test for it there is still literally a ONE in a MILLION chance it could be wrong and some tainted blood in a freak accident could slip through the cracks.

And whats disgusting is its not even that they're worried about necesarrily infecting someone through a transfusion they're afraid of the lawsuit that would undoubtably follow. They dont' care that we're gay its just about money.
Caligula

In fact Johnny as I'm sure you read in the article little more then 10% of the gay community are infected with HIV. The truth of the matter is that most gay men will never have HIV.
johnny

Exactly, that's why it insults me so much even having to see all those questions on there. They're not even nicely thought out, they're completely irrational and stupid questions given the ACTUAL state of affairs. I know, like I said, a lot of this was done when there was a genuine fear that HIV was a gay disease, but that's rubbish and everyone at this point is fully aware how rubbish it is. I don't necessarily hold a grudge against the legislation being past in the first place, but the fact that it has taken this long for a review is just plain shit, and the fact that they're even still reluctant and trying to give out excuses to keep the ban is totally crass.

When they keep pressuring me to donate my blood because people are dying without it, and then turn me away at the door despite me actually being able to prove my perfect health if they so requested, is disgusting. I mean, I am type O too, and I have lied and will continue to considering I personally know the risk is 0, but I don't want to have to lie.
Caligula

I know it sucks lying but its kind of fun to prance in front of them, talk with my hands and wear the most flamboyant outfit I could think of that day and they can't say anything unless I offer otherwise. lol its great. I get all queeny with the nurses but I think even they think the ban is rediculous so they just sort of play along.
MicGreg

thats good america has gotten less stupid. but we're still preettyy stupid though.
Caligula

Posted: 25 May 2010
Ohhh we're a bunch fuck'n clowns. Its by sure luck that we inherited the world.
johnny

Luck my arse, you inherited our glory you fiends!
Gnarlee

"ya but Gnarlee you're missing the point there a bit. They test ALL blood they recieve before they use it."

Oh? Then they're just being silly. I want to give blood.
johnny

THEN LIEEEEEEE

I keep telling people that bitch about it to just lie, and they keep saying "ohh but that's just wrong."

WTF

So is pretending your blood is dirty.
Wait! There are 18 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^