You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: Sex and Stuff > Health > Health vs Enjoyment/Ambitions...

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 17 posts.
Thread: #7424
Page: 1
AJF

Posted: 02 Dec 2012
Health vs Enjoyment/Ambitions...
I'll try and make as much sense as I can.

Basically, I'm currently the most ill I've been in a long while (only some winter bullshit that'll hopefully go within the week) but as usual it got my mind wondering...

What's more important; your health or your enjoyment and ambitions in life? This isn't to say that these things are always paradoxical but being an ambitious Type A sort of person (if my psychology A-level serves me right) or being someone who enjoys things which are 'unhealthy'..(drinking, smoking, other drugs, 'unhealthy' foods etc etc) can, perhaps obviously, hinder your health.

I have a friend who is probably the most intelligent person I know who, in my opinion, could easily become a lawyer in magic circle firm (the top like 5 firms) refuses to get a job like that despite it being a dream of hers because she believes over the years it'll affect her health by working long hours, travelling around dirty London all day and being in a highly stressful environment etc etc. She's never touched a cigarette, any drugs and rarely drinks and she is obsessed with healthy eating and walking (refuses to go to the gym to protect her joints). Anyway, she obviously puts her health way above anything else, which I respect her for. However, on the other side there's people like me who drink often, smoke often etc etc and has a 'fuck it, I enjoy it, imma do it attitude'.

This year I've been going back and forth with both of these attitudes because I hate feeling, looking and being unhealthy but I also want to do the things I like to do. So I was just wondering what you lot think about all this (if I've made much sense)?

The obvious answer to me is to balance everything out which can be more difficult than it seems...but just thought I'd hear what other people have to say.

Skinny

Re: Health vs Enjoyment/Ambitions...
As with all things its about moderation, if you enjoy drinking, smoking etc there is no reason why these things should actually effect your health to much if you enjoy these things in moderation. There is also a balance in health of your body and your mental health, it would harm my mental health if i didn't spend every day of my life in London and go for a drink with my mates on a friday.. will london effect my health, lungs etc.. well my dad has lived in London his whole life, he's fine although he has also been living with a life threatening illness for the past 16 years. But he has ambitions, he has always worked hard and travels lots, without these things i think he would have passed years ago.

However i do have friends who dabbled in drugs during our 20's, now in there early 30's we have a 100% drop out rate, these individuals suffer with mental health issues, problems with memory and generally act as if there in there 80's, but they are not, they are my age..

I also have a friend who drank to much and now is seriously i'll, and i have a friend who has been eating to much wheat based products and now at 31 is seriously ill.. no one warned him wheat could course so much damage. Cars are still the single biggest killer in the UK. But I am sure we will all enjoy a car journey this week.. Soz another long one
PawClaw

I think the middle ground on such matters is always the best.

Always good to invest in being healthy by moderating bad behaviour like drinking and fast food and such; but at the same time should enjoy life as much as you can.
styzssm

It's moderation,

I drink (too much) but it's a vice, I like good meals and the cheeky McD every now and then, I defiantly eat too much ice cream

However, I eat healthy normally, plenty of fruit and veg, home cooked meals, low fat milk and other dairy product, I swim, a lot - mainly butterfly, I go to the gym. But then I enjoy that too. I like healthy food and exercise.

Do I feel guilty for making cakes every sunday, and getting drunk - no beacuse I balance it out.

The idea that I would turn down a job because it may effect (and "may" is the important word there - it isn't "will") my health is absurd. It isn't really a life if you don't enjoy it. We are only put on this world once (unless you believe in reincarnation).

In Anciant Greece they had a saying
νους υγιής εν σώματι υγιεί
σώματα υγιής εν νουν υγιεί
Healthy mind, healthy body
Healthy body, healthy mind

Both need to be satisfied, so haveing a healthy body is great but pointless if you neglect the mind and it's requirements. Job satisfaction is including in that.
stewiestrapon

I'm literally responding to "What's more important; your health or your enjoyment and ambitions in life?"

Enjoyment. In the sense that heath and ambition don't make you happy. I have often wondered how many people under trains here in London have been fitness freak business people who have burned out. That's basically my point. You need to be happy.

If poor health is affecting your happiness then you need to address it. If the idea that you're going nowhere in life affects you then likewise. But they are all secondary to the fact we need to be content. For me there is ultimately nothing more important than mental wellbeing.
Cocoapowder

did a shit load of drugs when i was 16-18 and am paying for it now, and im only 20 >.< . iam the most lazyest person ever i will admit and have health problems, although id looove to be an active healthy person so much.

i think the best thing to do is keep a balance; mind, body and soul, as ppl above have said. if u can look after the mind and body ur soul will be content. theres no reason why u cant have one without the other, for instance, if u smoke and drink; make sure u detox regularly, if u eat a burger, work out. im trying to do this recently.

btw for all the SMOKERS out there, i just discovered that if u drink black tea (as in actual black tea, not normal tea without milk/sugar) it prevents lung damage.
Abstract

What's the point in living longer if you don't enjoy it?

Obviously being completely present-hedonistic will have consequences - those are something you should weigh up - but the idea of totally abstaining from things I enjoy for the sake of a few hypothetical extra years on my life or whatever is bizarre to me.
styzssm

^ de verdad
nikki1987

I see you smoke, Marcus...that might possibly remove more than a few hypothetical extra years from your life, you know.
newmy

Posted: 03 Dec 2012
I have to live healthily otherwise I feel like utter balls. I had a bit of a wake up call 5 or so years ago after a few years of not giving a shit about my health. Since then I've been much more careful, simply because I have to be.

I eat a decent diet, I drink alcohol very rarely (last time was in May) and have the occasional cigarette even more rarely (September 2011 if you must know).

For me my health and feeling good is the basic starting point - if I don't have these, I can't possibly even begin to fully enjoy my life.
Abstract

@Nikki1987 - I'm aware. :3
styzssm

I don't understand smoking tbh, I know that it is addictive however, does it really give stress relief?
MrTicklish

Screw the balance! Just do it all until it drives you mad then you'll be happy.
technoprimitiv

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - HST

Sums up my attitude.
LessThanHuman

I'm dying at 30...I'm far too hardcore for this topic...w00t.
Abstract

Posted: 07 Dec 2012
@styzssm - Yes. It's a pleasure I never really understood until trying it myself. xD
styzssm

Posted: 07 Dec 2012
id:Abstract
maybe
But I'm alright w/o trying

xx

Wait! There are 7 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^