You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Music > Thoughts on classical music?

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 54 posts.
Thread: #7730
Page: 1
stewiestrapon

Posted: 09 Jan 2015
Thoughts on classical music?
I'm being really brave- classical threads tend to flop on most forums!

How many of us listen to any of it? What do you listen to?

If you don't listen to it/find it appealing- what about it puts you off?

It’s boring for me to put everything I have to say in the first post, so now I wait >.<

Skinny

Re: Thoughts on classical music?
Well, I like classical music I always have..There is something quite magical about watching a live orchestra. But I also must admit I'm not a die hard fan, I mean, most of the time I don't really know who I'm listening to, when I do I tend to go for the 'Popular staff' so expect Tchaikovsky, Verdi, Gioachino etc.. Beyond this I have a terrible memory for names thus I get a little lost with classical composers.

What I like is deep booming music, loud, dramatic and depressing music. What I don't like, happy twinkly music, the term 'Modern' often puts me off too.

For the last couple of years I have been attending concerts by the London Gay Symphony Orchestra, plug plug.. who are outstandingly good. What's great about LGSO is that I don't have to work through a program working out which concert to watch, I just attend the next concert regardless of who's music they are celebrating. Also, only £12 a ticket so not exactly bank breaking!

http://www.lgso.org.uk/index.php/concerts/201415-season/
stewiestrapon

I suppose I'm quite picky- working through programs is pretty standard for me Of the LGSO program, I'd have gone to the 14th December one and I like the sound of the 26th April one- Stravinsky is a great composer!

I love watching live orchestras too. I think quite a lot of people know more classical music than the names of who wrote them?

I suppose if you're listening to something with lyrics you don't know (including Classical songs) it's pretty easy to Google one of the lines and find the song. It's quite hard when you hear "that piece" in the background of a film or on a public piano etc. to work out what it is, but you know it really well and it's irritating! I'm very big on classical music and I experience this too- there's just too much of it to know what it all is
daviemoo

I love it. My car radio is always on classic FM. But Im not greatly knowledgeable with it; I know I love Mozart, my ex hated him and said he was a lucky amateur but I think some of his stuff is mega awesome. And I love some of the more modern stuff, especially the more epic stuff.
Eraserface

The idea of Mozart being an amateur is quite funny. Like he was some DIY noise guy.
I have no idea about classical music whatsoever. A lot of experimental stuff like Stockhausen, Penderecki, etc. appeals to me because I like things that make my head spin but I've not really looked into it in any depth. Yet. I got an Arvo Part thing a while ago based on a friend's recommendation I've not listened to yet.
stewiestrapon

Posted: 10 Jan 2015
I like Mozart's stuff for groups of instruments. I don't like his piano/keyboard stuff. Nothing to do with his abilities and more to do with my tastes, mind.

@Eraserface I played the piano part for Arvo Part's 'Spiegel im Spiegel' for a mate's viola recital at uni

I suppose if I had to define my taste, I like stuff that isn't "purely" classical. Like a Tchaikovsky ballet. Like Stravinsky who uses lots of old Russian folk material in his music. More recently like the guy who wrote an orchestra piece based on being high in a club (Look up Thomas Ades Asyla if you're interested!) My favourite piano pieces are essentially Spanish flamenco but with a piano rather than guitars.

I don't like "pure" Classical music, I guess. Probably why I'm funny about Mozart's piano stuff
daviemoo

Posted: 10 Jan 2015
I just love the piano so I like listening to most things played on one. But mozarts piano stuff does sometimes seem a little... Rambly? But he did write it when he was like 11 years younger than I am now.

Tchaikovsky is amazing. I've always said if I go to the BBC proms im going to see the Tchaikovsky night...
styzssm

Posted: 11 Jan 2015
I've liked classical music since secondary school.

I like the darker stuff; Toccata and Fugue (D minor), Danse Macabre, Flight of the bumble bee, Symphonie Fantastique.

I'me not sure I have a favorite composer or period. I like Baroque music I guess, and generally a fan of Berlioz. I hardly like much of Mozart.

Personal fav would be the trio from L'enfance du Christ
stewiestrapon

I went to a prom once- 2011 I think it was. They had a French night with Debussy and Ravel music alongside a living guy Henri Dutilleux who has died since. It was a great experience minus the temperature (it was the middle of summer).

I'm pretty sure I have heard some Berlioz somewhere down the line but couldn't tell you what it was. I want to learn the piano version of the Danse Macabre one day- I have the sheet music but it's pretty difficult.
daviemoo

I AM SO JEALOUS. I'd love to do the proms. It would be amazing. I need to see if there's more stuff like that on a smaller scale around here. I'd love to like once a month go see a performance- that said the most disappointing thing I ever did was go see swan lake with my ex from here, Johnny. We went to see Swan Lake, the new re- imagined version which is less about a magical swan princess and more a gay love interest story. IT SUCKED. The music was the only bit I enjoyed, the rest was crap and ruined it for us. But it was awesome to hear it all played in real living time in front of us.
stewiestrapon

I've seen the same guy's Sleeping Beauty. With vampires. It was dire. I didn't know he'd done Swan Lake, and having a quick look he's also done Nutcracker
styzssm

I like classics as classics.
I really like the ballet buy have been in years, Both Nutcracker and Swan lake have great musics with them

Belioz march to the scaffold

Berlioz
Trio - Birth of Christ

daviemoo

I want to see the originals, I don't understand redoing them... It adds nothing if you ask me.

I also realised earlier, it's not strictly a classical piece but I do love Mars, bringer of war. It's fairly recent so not sure it counts a a classic.
stewiestrapon

Posted: 12 Jan 2015
@styzssm We definitely played the march to the scaffold in orchestra when I was doing A-level music. I knew I knew some Berlioz!

@daviemoo It is classical! There are lots of living classical composers. It's allowed to be recent... I love the whole Planets suite.
styzssm

Neo classical, depends what we are defining as classical, do film scores count?

stewiestrapon

Classical music cuts off its own nose to spite its face by ignoring leaving breathing composers.

Film scores definitely count. The majority of their composers studied in music colleges- you can't get more part of the tradition than that! The orchestra in Birmingham plays film stuff all of the time.

A lot of the Japanese video game composers have a classical background too- they had the Final Fantasy orchestra, I think there was a Zelda orchestra too.
daviemoo

If we're counting film scores my favourites are the saw soundtrack- Charlie clouser is a fucking genius, and hans zimmer and Fiachra trench's soundtrack for the ring. I love love love those soundtracks.
Rusholme

I like some classical music, like Erik Satie is a composer that i enjoy because his music is simple and emotive, i like stuff like that, like the Moonlight Sonata (the first half not the bit where it goes OTT). But it's still basically "wallpaper music". Having lyrics in music is very important to me for it to have some sort of deeper resonance. Though this mostly applies to recorded music.

Live though most classical is really boring. It's overblown, overcomplicated crap that has very little intellectual content for you to think about. It also has very little emotional resonance with me because when you think about it the people who perform it are basically a respectable covers band. They didn't write it, not that it doesn't mean anything to them but they don't have a creators connection, no more of a connection to anyone who isn't a long dead composer, so why should i be invested if they really can't be? Maybe i'm a reverse snob but i see classical musicians as on par with covers bands and session musicians. It's not art that they're doing.

I have a few other gripes with classical music but those are the main ones...

That's notwithstanding modern classical which i know nothing about. Woo.
styzssm

Posted: 13 Jan 2015
70-90% of the FF soundtrack then
daviemoo

Posted: 13 Jan 2015
Hey nobuo uematsu is a genius :3
Wait! There are 44 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^