You are not logged in, Click Here to Login or Click here to create a new account.
Thread: General > Music > Thoughts on classical music?

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^
Welcome to altvibe.com Forums
You are currently not logged in and will only be able to view the forums. Click here to Signup. Click here to login.
As a guest you can only view the first 10 posts and in this thread there have been 54 posts.
Thread: #7730
Page: 1
stewiestrapon

Posted: 13 Jan 2015
Re: Thoughts on classical music?
@Rusholme
I very rarely do lyrics! Of course, you also get classical music with lyrics and you get non-classical music without lyrics.

What you said about “emotional resonance”… I just feel you get a stronger one without lyrics- because we are able to feel much more than we are able to express in language. Look at all the words that exist in one language but not another.

I agree that classical musicians are cover musicians. I don’t personally see how an orchestra warrants more respect than a cover band either. But then why is a musician playing someone else’s music something to be frowned on when actors are there voicing someone else’s script? Are you saying that interpretation isn’t a part of art? If so, you’ve just dismissed most of the arts industry!

I do write my own music, so to be fair I’m not coming from a pure “classical musician” standpoint.

I have hundreds of gripes with the art industry though…

stewiestrapon

Re Film Scores

One of my very favourites

Rusholme

Appreciation of music is subjective so this is just my personal perception of it and i can see how for others an instrumental might be more purely emotive but for me the pieces of music i have real connections with have messages and themes that i can associate with my life. They SAY something to me and that necessitates lyrics. Purely instrumental music can be, and is often, great and beautiful but for me that can wear off... whereas words kinda have a timeless quality that always means something, even if that something can change. Which is one thing i think lyrics do which is really amazing, they can change with you as you change as a person. Whereas yknow, C#m into Amaj7 will always sound the same way, and can always be pretty, but doesn't do that same thing.

Interpretation is fine but i think any amount of interpretation puts more distance between creator and audience. This is why i tend to prefer books to films, and you can kinda liken a piece of recorded music, done by those who created the piece, to say... a painting or a sculpture that you look at in person, and a piece of live music to a reproduction or a print or something. That's kind of a crappy metaphor but this is all very amateur philosopher on my part and it's difficult to express. Art is best when you get as close to a picture of what was made originally, as unfiltered as possible. All these things i was talking about kind of act like filters to me, obscuring what i'm appreciating more and more. Of course there are exceptions, there are some covers/reinterpretations of songs that i like more than the original... so i'm possibly talking out of my arse and this is notwithstanding live music as a whole experience in itself... which is kinda different. But hey-ho.
stewiestrapon

It’s definitely subjective. It’s really interesting having this discussion with someone who is all about lyrics (i.e. the exact opposite of me) though. You say a chord progression always sounds the same. I say that if I’ve heard one song about any one topic, I’ve heard them all. There a fewer potential song topics than potential chord progressions from my standpoint.

To be honest, compared to the other posters in this thread who probably like a bit of everything we both sound a bit extreme >.<

In terms of experiencing art vs experiencing the filter... Philosophy itself is a filter- probably the hardest one to remove
styzssm

I dunno, Some pieces of lyric-less music have a message or a theme, it depends if you understood why it was written, take Danse Macabre, It's meant to represent the dead dancing (among other things). It does that quite well.
daviemoo

My favourite by far is lacrimosa from requiem. That actually does have lyrics which I think apart from the religious connotations are awesome. But the music is also beautifultastic
styzssm

Posted: 14 Jan 2015
Dunno, I'm a fan of Dies Irae

It does it for me
stewiestrapon

Like I said I don't like "pure" classical music- i.e. music with nothing behind it/music that you have to trail through history books to discover the meaning of.

I love this one. A young girl is made to dance herself to death to pacify the pagan spring God. It's such a powerful piece- I've seen this ballet live and it was fantastic.

styzssm

jumpy
rogerkint

This is a great thread, for many reasons but primarily I like that no one has called anyone else's tastes shit. I rarely listen to non-classical music, not because I think it's rubbish but just because I personally don't particularly like much of it. My preference is much more towards the non-lyrical like Stewie - the best pieces I can think of don't need lyrics, because everything they need or want to convey is in the instrumental constructs.

That's not to say that voice can't be a powerful instrument, but rarely do I find it so in lyrics. For example, John Williams and Howard Shore make amazing use of choirs in Star Wars and LotR but most people haven't got a clue what the lyrics mean. (and going back a bit, who can forget the Sull'aria scene in Shawshank which I'm sure to this day 99.5% of people have no idea what it's about).

I'd also say the performance is just as important as the composer. I've heard some dreadful performances of Rachmaninoff, Saint Saens, and Bach's cello concerto for instance and if they had been the first renditions I'd have heard I would probably have been put off. So I find Rusholme's feelings on it so very contrasting to my own.

In terms of what classical music I like, I'd say my focus has changed dramatically over the last decade which I think is, in part, because of the growth and increased sophistication of film/TV/Game music (or it might all just be me). But in my teens I was a big fan of the classical romantics - Dvorak, Rachmaninoff, Stravinski, Sibelius, Saint Saens, etc. Big bombastic pieces mainly. "Very hand wavey" as one of my old lecturers would say.

I still liked the calmer stuff like Arvo Paert and Vaughn William's quieter pieces. But soon started listening to more and more film music. Williams, Morricone, Shore, Hisashi, Zimmer once he got past Crimson Tide and ALL THE SAMENESS. That led onto game music (though not a massive amount) catalysed probably by BioShock and Cohen's Masterpiece (You really should watch this guy play it; the quality isn't superb but for 13 years old he's fucking brilliant.

I'll probably say more after someone else so my monologue isn't too massive, but yeah, I do love good classical music :D
daviemoo

Posted: 16 Jan 2015
i think some classical music does exactly what it's meant to. i was listening to classic fm on the way home (did i mention that im fucking classy...) and the presenter's big piece after six was one about being on a snowy mountain and i totally got it from the way the music was. i think it's awesome. i get your point about it being a very complex cover band but cover bands can also be pretty good. and we watch and see all sorts of recycled things. its more our perspectives that keep things interesting.
stewiestrapon

Posted: 16 Jan 2015
This is going to sound hypocritical after what I said about lyrics...

I try and keep an open mind with music- the music itself, the performers, the coverers, whatever. If a piece of music is not for me, I try to be able to say "this isn't to my taste, but I can see why someone else might appreciate it". I've sat through tens of 3 hour musicology lectures- I guess I've been trained to not call any music shit?

I can't believe I forgot them, but does anyone know the Vitamin String Quartet? Classical covers of songs. They range from 'better than the original' to 'just about recognisable'

I used to go for big bombastic stuff, but I've chilled a bit now I guess. For me the music definitely has to be a case of getting it from the way it is.

For example this one- played by one of the composer's students. On the front page of the music, Ravel wrote "River God laughs at the water that tickles him". It's a really evocative piece.

newmy

Posted: 20 Jan 2015
I like a good deal of classical music. I guess because I sang in choirs for years I have a bit of a thing for choral anthems - Parry's "I Was Glad", Stanford's "Services In B Flat", "Cantique De Jean Racine" from Faure's Requiem etc...and other choral works for mass or single voices from hymns through to arias. I think I tend to err on the side of big and rousing choral works, though I have plenty of time for those that give you shivers in other ways, like Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs, particularly "Im Abendrot".

I think I tend to go for the big sounding instrumental stuff too - bit of a soft spot for Pictures At An Exhibition (particulary The Grand Gate Of Kiev) having played it back in a past life as a cellist in youth orchestras. Also bit of a thing for piano concertos/sonatas from the likes of Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky and Beeethoven. Ask me to name them though and I'd be a bit stumped.

Looking through my classical playlist, there's also a fair share of film music on there - Giacchino, Williams, Zimmer, Morricone and more.

Er...ramble over.

stewiestrapon

@newmy I also used to be in a choir but I don't remember much in terms of the music other than hymns. I like Faure- I recently found out that he went deaf in his old age just like Beethoven.

It's really weird- with both Beethoven and Faure, I prefer the stuff they wrote when going deaf

I heard one of the Rachmaninoff concertos live the other weekend (the third one- the one that's famous for being the most difficult) As I was leaving the venue, I overheard some old woman comment "the pianist struggled with that a bit".

Welcome to the side of classical music I definitely do not like...
styzssm

Cerulean

Posted: 12 Feb 2015
I really enjoy classical music, at times it's all I want to listen to.
I know it doesn't appeal to everyone but sometimes I like the simplicity of just the instruments compared to lyrics in a song.
So it is nice to see some others that also appreciate it.
stewiestrapon

Posted: 12 Feb 2015
Classical music is good for detaching from life
glenn

Posted: 26 Feb 2015
I don't know much by name though - I occasionally put Classic FM on, but depending on the song it's not always for me. Bach and Beethoven (particularly Moonlight Sonata) are my favorites :)
stewiestrapon

Posted: 27 Feb 2015
@glenn I think a lot of people are "not by name" listeners.

I actually went to a concert last night and it suddenly hit me how white the audience were (I'm not just on about skin colour). I felt very much like part of a dying tradition...
glenn

Posted: 27 Feb 2015
Makes me think of the Oscars joke "we're here tonight to celebrate the best and the white-est... I mean brightest"

Who knows maybe it will find its way back into fashion at some point...
I think part of its lack of appeal these days is that it doesn't generally tally with dance (or at the very least, most / most popular dance forms)
Wait! There are 44 more posts in this thread. You need to signup or sign in to view them.

Page: 1

Results per page: 20 [Change]

You must be signed in to post replies.
General
Altvibe News and Info
Regional
Sex and Stuff
International

^ Get Rid of these adverts Click here ^